| Mannington has some of the best attractions in a county
full of rich history. We invite you to come out and see
history being preserved by the West Augusta Historical Society.
Augusta Historical Society Museum is housed in the former Wilson School, which
was built in 1912. In 1980, the Historical Society purchased and closed the
building until 1982 when it was reopened. The museum contains many artifacts and
antiques of great interest.
|Mannington has the only round barn museum in the
state of West Virginia. It was
built in 1912 by Amos C. Hamilton and housed a dairy operation until
the 1940's with milk being delivered daily in the area. The Round Barn
has a diameter of 60 ft and a height of 75 ft.
The ground floor where the cows were milked
and fed, was of concrete, the second floor of oak, and the siding of
yellow poplar. The cupola was built to improve air circulation.
It is being used as a
is now listed in the National Register for
Historical Places The Round Barn is open Sundays, May thru Sept.
1:30 to 4:00 p.m. For information or tours, call Reita Hall at
304-986-1089 or Jean Efaw at 304-986-2636.
|The caboose was built in 1912. It now houses a
miniature railroad museum of articles used in the operation of the
area's transportation system such as whistles, stoves, and lanterns.
The railroad caboose was donated to the Museum by the Chessie System
and moved from its original site in Pennsylvania to the Museum
grounds by the Consolidated Coal Company.
|Now located on the West Augusta Historical
Society Museum grounds, this log cabin was originally built on the
Deadfall Road in Wetzel County by George Washington Price in 1870.
It was donated to the museum by the Higgins Family and moved to its
new location with the help of the Marion County FFA.
Welcome to the
House. Started in circa 1868 as a
Queen Anne Victorian Home, it was the 'ever-expanding home on
High Street' of WV Senator George Walters Bowers and family,
owners of the Warwick (USA) China Company, Bowers Pottery Company,
Homewood Glass Company, S. George Company, First Exchange Bank, and
many more turn of the Century enterprises and real estate throughout
West Virginia. It continues to be lovingly restored and preserved
today as an example of the West Virginia amenities of estate living
The Depot is one of the few remain depots left in WV. It was
originally built pre Civil War, breaking ground in 1852 and
completed in 1855. During the
Civil War, the Depot was a major strategic site, an important link
to the Ohio River. On May 27, 1860,
the first Northern Civil War Troops arrived in Mannington from
were to become the 1st Regiment under Colonel Benjamin F
Kelley. When the focus of the Civil War moved further west, an
urgent call for help was received by President Lincoln from
this call with an army sent east to west by train. The Depot saw
over 20,000 troops deployed through it over a period of 24 hours,
which is still a major feat today. This mass migration included, in
addition to the troops, ten batteries, horses, equipment, baggage,
and wagons. They traveled over 1,100 miles. It was the first mass
movement of people by train, not horses and wagons. The existence of
the Railroad through Mannington was a major contributor to the
success of the North during the Civil War.
After the war, the depot
remained an important part of transportation for Mannington. The
Depot was updated in 1906, and remained in steady use until October
1957, when the last Passenger Train departed from Mannington.
the Depot being accepted on the Preservation Alliance WV
Endangered Properties List. We are working diligently to preserve
this important piece of Mannington's past.
1900's South Penn Oil Co.
The structure was the First Filling Station located in
Mannington. It has since been restored and can be found at the
West Augusta Historical Society
Sundays 1:30pm to
Open by appointment for
Office location: 206 Main Street, Mannington
P.O. Box 227
Phone: (304) 986-2037